GSU gets swept in Tennessee

Macy Holloway

This past Saturday and Sunday the women’s tennis team traveled to Tennessee and endured an incredibly disappointing weekend on the courts.

The Georgia Southern University Eagles went 0-7 against The University of Tennessee Chattanooga on Saturday and this same record was reflected after the Eagles went head-to-head with Samford University on Sunday.

Evidently GSU was just unable to pull out any solid wins this weekend; all six of the singles matches and three doubles matches were in favor of the opposing teams on both days.

Even so, the Eagles didn’t go down without a fight. On Saturday GSU sophomore Mary Phillips Smith put up a good fight against her opponent UTC sophomore Katie Polk when they had a tight match ending in a score of (7-5, 6-1).

In doubles play on Saturday, GSU junior Jordana Klein, paired up with sophomore Stephanie Woods, was almost able to best their opponents UTC sophomore Kelsey Coots and junior Claire Mulyadi, however their match ended 8-6 in favor of UTC.

On Sunday against SU, GSU finally began to find their stride resulting in many closer matches than the previous day held.

Klein was able to overpower her opponent, SU senior Kristen Lewis, in their first set 6-7 (5-8), in the second set she was swiftly brought down 6-1, and in the final Klein put up a strong fight resulting in a score of 1-0 (10-8) in favor of Lewis.

SU now holds an impressive overall record of 9-1 along with a SoCon record of 3-0, while UTC is also having a strong season with an overall 9-2 record and 1-0 in the SoCon.

This upcoming weekend GSU will get to play at home as they face off against Western Carolina University and Appalachian State University at the Hanner Tennis Complex.