Men’s tennis secures second win of season

• File PhotoGeorgia Southern University men’s tennis (2-9) went 1-1 this weekend against Furman University (6-4) and Wofford College (5-6).

Derik Wuchte

Against Furman, at the No. 1 spot and No. 3 spot, senior Oliver Webb and junior Kyle Hoffman obtained wins. Webb defeated Furman sophomore Matt Browne 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) and Hoffman defeated Furman senior Alex Christ 7-6, 6-3.

GSU junior Albert Codina Sala, senior Marco Osorio, sophomore Rafael Racy and freshman Christian Kerrigan competed in the other spots, but were not able to achieve victories.

For doubles play, the team of Webb and Kerrigan beat Christ and sophomore Ben Horst 8-5. The team of Osorio and freshman Nico DeGroof and the team of Hoffman and Racy did not secure wins, although both teams played well.

When it came to Wofford, the Eagles got their second team win of the season. For the No. 1 spot, Webb defeated Wofford junior Rob Galloway 6-4, 6-3. In the No. 3 spot, Hoffman defeated Wofford junior Walker Heffron 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. Osorio in the No. 4 spot also got victory against Wofford junior Jackson Keith 6-1, 6-3, while Racy in the No. 6 spot defeated Wofford sophomore Parks Thompson 6-4, 6-4. Sala in the No. 2 spot and DeGroof in the No. 5 spot could not reach wins against their opponents.

Wofford’s doubles play was impressive on Sunday. The Eagles could not obtain a win in their three doubles matches. DeGroof and Osorio lost a very close set 8-7. Webb and Kerrigan followed with a loss 8-3. Hoffman and Racy, as the final team, lost 8-3.

The Eagles will be playing again at home on Friday, March 7 at 2:30 p.m. against Davidson College.