Georgia Southern to host triathlon

Macy Holloway

Interested in swimming, biking and running for a great cause? United Way of Southeast Georgia is bringing the first ever triathlon to Georgia Southern University.

The triathlon will be held at the RAC on Apr. 6 beginning at 8 a.m. Up to 154 people are allowed to sign up and it is regulated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Willing participants may register online at active.com with the key words “Georgia Southern Triathlon.”

Participants may be from 10 to 41 years of age.

“Since this is in fact a fundraiser for United Way, the entry fee is $30 for students who sign up before Mar. 23, $40 for non-students. The registration fee will raise to $35 for students and $50 for non-students beginning on Mar. 24,” Erick Pezoa, senior computer science major, said.

A free t-shirt and food will be available at an after party held at the RAC Pavilion for all participants.

The triathlon will consist of swimming, biking and running; it will be an indoor and outdoor event. There are expected to be seven heats of 22 participants each. Each heat will last 20 minutes and the final winner will be based on who was able to go the furthest distance altogether in each of their heats. Swim the most laps in 20 minutes, bike the furthest distance and run the furthest. 15 minutes will be the allotted transition time between heats.

Swimming will take place in the RAC pool, biking on the stationary bikes and running will be outside on the large track surrounding the RAC.

There will be winners based upon separate groups divided by age and sex. The prizes have yet to be announced.

With the vast amount of events and participants, volunteers are welcomed and highly encouraged.

Pezoa has been the sole coordinator behind this entire project. With his involvement in organizations such as Student United Way and the Service-Learning program at GSU, Pezoa has been able to get this event planned and on its way to fruition.

Pezoa explained that there will be access to an additional donations tab on the website, where extra donations can be given and will be sincerely appreciated.

So, how far can you go in 60 minutes?