GSU thrives at home invitational

Macy Holloway

This past weekend, Georgia Southern University hosted the Women’s Tennis Fall Invitational. After coming off a tough weekend at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Southeast Regionals, the Eagles got back in gear at home.

“It was great to get to compete at home during the fall season. The field of opponents made for some great tennis and I’m proud of the team for the way they competed in every match,” head coach Amy Bonner said in a news release.

Freshman Lani Tummers had arguably the most successful weekend of all, defeating each and every one of her opponents. She won her entire singles flight.

Tummers played opponents from Emory University, Wofford College and Stetson University. She also teamed up with sophomore McKinsey Fiveash and the duo dominated their bracket, beating teams from Emory and Jacksonville State University.

“I felt really good. Being a freshman and winning the tournament is kind of amazing,” Tummers said.

Sophomore Stephanie Woods also knocked off opponents from Stetson and Wofford, before losing to Armstrong Atlantic State University senior Barbora Krtickova in the finals placing her in second for her flight.

Similar to Tummers, sophomore Mary Phillips Smith saw success at home, defeating junior Zoe Bizinos from JSU (6-1, 6-3) and easily overcoming Florida Atlantic University sophomore Claire Mitchell-Andrews (6-0, 6-3) in the finals, putting her in first place for the singles consolation bracket in her flight.

“Personally, I started off a little slow in the tournament but I think I really turned that around and learned from my mistakes. I was just trying to execute my game plan and do everything I could to stay positive and play my shots,” Smith said.

“I think we can really build off this weekend, we’ve had some good wins, we’ve had some tough losses. But since it’s fall, we just need to learn a lot from these matches and I think we can definitely do that,” Smith said. “As for the team I thinks it’s awesome that we got to host the tournament and it has been a great weekend, it’s always so much fun to play at home.”

The Eagles will finish out their fall season at the Wofford Invitational next weekend.