Big names on ballot for Spring Concert

• Graphic by: Alexandra Tobia

'
  • '

Matt Sowell

Big names such as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Carrie Underwood, Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic are on the list of potentials for Georgia Southern University’s spring concert next semester.

One of the deciding factors determining who performs lands with students voting on the MyInvolvement page for the performer they want to see.

The poll opened yesterday and will close Monday, Oct. 7. Specific details about the concert will be decided after voting. The University Programming Board is organizing the voting process.

Eric Church, Darius Rucker, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts and Miranda Lambert round out the country music genre, while Kelly Clarkson, Jason Mraz, Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic complete the pop/rock genre. Flo Rida and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis represent the hip-hop field.

“We really looked at what’s hot right now, we used a third party source who does shows on college campuses, that’s her job” Tina Powellson, executive director of student activities, said. “She helps us get a pretty good list of various artists to perform at our school.”

None of the potential performers have played on GSU’s campus before, UPB made sure that there were new artists to bring to the students, Powellson said.

In past years the university has brought acts such as Tim McGraw, Ludacris, The Band Perry and The Fray.

“We really want to encourage students to vote and really have their voice heard about who they want to be here in the spring,” Powellson said.

Depending on budget restrictions and timing there may be more than one artist, depending on how the voting process goes, Powellson said.

“I think that the concert will be a very exciting event for campus. The list of possible artists is very exciting and any of them would be a great end of the year event for all students” Justin Jeffery, assistant director of UPB, said.

UPB is aiming for the concert to be around April or May of next semester.

“I’m excited because there are more artists to choose from this year, it’s going to be difficult to choose just one” Kimberly White, senior justice studies major at GSU said.

White said, “This year seems to have the best choices out of all my years at Southern, I’m glad we have the opportunity to vote on stuff like this, I can’t wait.”