Game final: GSU defeats SSU 77-9

Will Cheney

The season opening matchup between Georgia Southern University and Savannah State University saw an explosive offensive outburst for GSU, scoring the second most points in a game in school history, 77-9.

Fourth Quarter:

On SSU’s drive to start the fourth, sophomore quarterback Zach Hutchenson’s pass was intercepted by junior GSU corner Valdon Cooper. GSU’s ensuing drive ended in a rushing touchdown by redshirt senior running back Torrance Hunt, his first collegiate touchdown. GSU increased its lead to 56-9.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Vegas Harley took over at quarterback after a sack on redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison and then rushed for a 30-yard touchdown in his first collegiate carry. GSU increased its lead to 63-9.

A fake punt late in the fourth, followed by a pair of rushing touchdowns saw GSU increase its lead to 77-9. That score stood as the game ended just after 10 p.m.

Third Quarter:

The opening drive saw senior quarterback Jerick McKinnon return to the quarterback position to lead GSU in the second half. The drive ended in a 20-yard touchdown run by senior running back William Banks and gave GSU a 35-0 lead.

SSU’s first drive of the second half ended abruptly with an interception by GSU junior strong safety Deion Stanley, the second of his career.

GSU’s recovery of the football resulted in another rushing touchdown by Banks, and a 42-0 GSU lead.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison took over the Eagle offense once again and rushed for a 12-yard touchdown to increase GSU’s lead to 49-0.

SSU scored its first points on a six-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Zach Hutchenson to sophomore wide receiver Cantrell Frazier to bring the score to 49-7 in GSU’s favor.

The third quarter ended with Ellison getting sacked in the end zone for a safety and SSU decreasing GSU’s lead to 49-9. SSU regained control of the ball to end the quarter on a free kick by GSU senior punter Luke Cherry.

Second Quarter:

The second quarter of tonight’s matchup between Georgia Southern University and Savannah State University began with fireworks from the GSU offense.

GSU senior quarterback Jerick McKinnon completed a short touchdown pass to junior running back Devin Scott to put GSU up 14-0.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Ellison took over on the GSU’s second drive that led to a rushing touchdown by junior running back Dominique Swope and a 21-0 GSU lead.

GSU’s third drive, once again led by Ellison, was aided with a pass interference call and a roughing the kicker call on SSU. The drive ended in Swope’s second rushing touchdown of the evening, which put GSU up 28-0.

The 28-0 lead would hold to end the first half. GSU’s defense shined for another quarter of action as SSU was held to only two first downs.

First Quarter:

Georgia Southern University leads Savannah State University 7-0 after the first quarter in tonight’s matchup.

GSU’s first two drives ended in missed field goals by redshirt freshman kicker Connor Tierney.

GSU’s offense caught lightning in a bottle on its one-play third offensive drive that resulted in a 66-yard rushing touchdown by senior quarterback Jerick McKinnon.

Offensively, GSU gained seven first downs in 156 total yards, with 140 yards on the ground.

On the defensive side of the ball, GSU shined. SSU was scoreless with no first downs and 19 total yards of offense.