Eagles beat Terriers, win conference opener

Will Cheney

The Georgia Southern University men’s tennis team opened conference play today against Wofford College and defeated the Terriers 6-1 to earn its first conference win of the season.

The day started off with doubles play, which the Eagles won handily. Sophomores Kyle Hoffman and Andrew Dromsky won their match 8-3, senior Matthijs Verdam and junior Oliver Webb won 9-7, and junior Marco Osorio and freshman Rayane Djouad also won 9-7. This kick started the Eagles to a 1-0 lead.

Dromsky was the first Eagle to complete his singles match as he defeated Wofford’s senior Drew Superstein, and Webb wasn’t too far behind defeating Wofford’s freshman Graham Duncan. Djouad won his match against Wofford’s sophomore Walker Heffron, putting the Eagles up 4-1 and clinching the victory. Osorio and sophomore Albert Codina Sala finished off the Terriers and raised the final score to 6-1.

“The last two years Wofford’s gotten us in the regular season, so to not only come out and beat them but it was a pretty comprehensive win,” Eagles head coach Nick Zieziula said. “The big thing we have been talking about is being mentally tough and continuing with our habits in between points and I think we did a much better job of that today than we have in the past.”

The 4-3 (1-0) Eagles’ next match will be an out-of-conference matchup against Bethune-Cookman at 1:30 p.m. at Hanner Tennis Complex.