Delta Phi Epsilon to host Color the Campus Run 5k

•  

'

Kelsey Elam

The sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon will host their first Color the Campus Run 5k, a race unique to the sorority that involves splatter painting participants after each completed lap.

The color run will benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and will take place on the outdoor track surrounding the fields at the Recreational Activity Center on Oct. 20 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

“Usually other charity events are the same old, same old 5k run or eating competition, so we feel this is a fresh spin on something that has already been done,” Vanessa Peterman, vice president of programming for Delta Phi Epsilon, said. “I feel like it will help get people involved.”

Early registration has already begun and is $15. Late registration begins on Oct. 17 and it will be $20.

The 5k run will be the main event, but there will also be food and music at the end of the run for those who do not want to participate in the actual run, Peterman said. Wristbands for those who choose not to participate will be $5.

Prizes will be given to the first, second and third place winners, and free t-shirts will be given to people who show up early. The t-shirts will also be on sale throughout the event.

The Delta Phi Epsilon chapter at GSU was founded this spring, and the color run is their first philanthropy event, President of Delta Phi Epsilon Jessica Hickman said. Hickman said this will be an annual event for the sorority.

Hickman said she hopes students attend and show their support for this cause, and Delta Phi Epsilon is excited to host their first event on campus.

“It’s a difficult process because you aren’t only facing the expectations from headquarters and other chapters, but here on campus there are some negative stereotypes about Greek Life, so it can be very nerve-racking,” Hickman said.

“You really want that support system from everyone on campus,” Hickman said. “But all we can do is put our best foot forward and hope that everyone comes out and gets involved.”

Students can register for the event online by going to Delta Phi Epsilon’s website, or they can pick up a registration form at the Greek Life office in the Russell Union, Peterman said.

A Delta Phi Epsilon alumnus inspired the event because her son was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.

“One of our alumni’s son has cystic fibrosis and spoke about it at one of our conventions recently,” Peterman said. “We noticed there wasn’t a lot of attention on the disease or the cause to find a cure, so we decided to get involved.”

Hickman said, “The outcome of helping kids with cystic fibrosis is definitely worth the battle. It’s incredible, and it’s all worth it.”