Study Abroad Fair comes to GSU

Nicholas Benton

Georgia Southern University students will have the opportunity to participate in the student exchange program when the Center for International Studies and the University System of Georgia hold a Study Abroad Fair Sept. 25 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

The event offers the opportunity for GSU students to research the various opportunities to compliment their education by studying at partner universities in the exchange student program.

“There are great professional, academic and personal benefits to studying internationally,” Dr. Jeffery Palis, assistant director of the Center for International Studies, said.

The center offers exchange programs including Japan, Canada, Mexico and Germany. Additionally, the University System of Georgia features programs through other member institutions.

Along with the programs, those attending may speak with students about their experiences abroad and the benefits of the international studies.

Representatives from the Financial Aid department will also be present advising interested students on how their financial aid may be able to support studies abroad.

“All forms of financial aid may apply to studying abroad including Pell, Stafford loans, even Parent plus loans may be used,” Margaret Pigatt-Lanier, a counselor from the Financial Aid office, said.

The Center for International Studies offers year-round international study opportunities.

Danielle Smith, administrative coordinator of the Fair, said, “Students may choose to study abroad for a full semester, or for a single course, depending on their GPA. A minimum of a 2.0 is necessary for a course abroad, but we require a minimum of a 2.5 for a full semester.”