Spanish beyond the classroom invites students to practice the language in a relaxed setting

• El Rinconcito will be the location of Spanish conversation tables throughout the semester, as well as the Interdisciplinary Academic building on campus.

Sarah Smith

STATESBORO — Mesa de Conversación, Conversation Table, welcomes Spanish speaking Georgia Southern students of all levels to attend relaxed meetings throughout the semester.

These meetings are meant to be an opportunity for new Spanish speakers to interact and practice speaking the language in a relaxed, fun setting, according to Teresa Buzo Salas, a GS Spanish 1001 professor.

“They get to know all of the students and may be a little challenged by other students,” Buzo Salas said. “Also, for the students who have a higher level, it’s good for them to review some material that they may have forgotten.”

There will be two more meetings at the Interdisciplinary Academic Building room 1015 and three at the El Rinconcito restaurant from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. The first meeting was Sept. 23 with 15 students in attendance. 

“It’s very encouraging, especially for the students in 1001 and 1002, when they see other students in the upper level talking completely in a conversation for an hour without speaking any English,” Buzo Salas said.

The meetings at the Interdisciplinary Academic Building room 1015 will be Oct. 21 and Nov. 18. Meetings held at the El Rinconcito restaurant will be Oct. 8, Nov. 5, and Dec. 3.

El Rinconcito is located at 2 College Plaza, Statesboro, GA 30458 near 180 Fitness and the Interdisciplinary Academic Building is beside the Carroll Building. 

Sarah Smith, The George-Anne News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu