Baseball dramatically defeats Arkansas State in the last home series of the season

• Senior pitcher Daniel Collins was honored before Sunday’s series finale.

Amanda Arnold

The Georgia Southern baseball team swept Arkansas State in a dramatic fashion during the last home series of the season to improve to 30-21 overall and 16-11 in conference play.

In the first game of the series, rescheduled into a double header on Saturday due to inclement weather, GS took an early 2-0 lead. The RedWolves took advantage of a scoreless second inning for GS and went on top 4-2.

Down 6-3 in the sixth inning, GS capitalized on an error and cut the deficit to one thanks to doubles, from freshman catcher JP Tighe and junior infielder Mason Miller, and a single from freshman infielder Blake Evans.

In the seventh inning, freshman infielder Noad Ledford hit a home run to tie the game at six, his tenth of the season. Two more unanswered GS runs sealed the 10-6 victory. Senior pitcher Cole Whitney took the victory for the Eagles in his three innings of work.

In the second game, redshirt senior Tyler Martin led the offense with four runs, including two homers. GS scored at least one run in each inning, omitting the sixth. Junior infielder Steven Curry contributed three runs, while six other Eagles added at least one run to the board for the huge 17-6 win.

Junior pitcher Joe Nahas pitched six innings and struck out eight, only allowing one run.  

Five seniors were honored before Sunday’s series finale, including pitchers Daniel Collins, Tristan Roberts, Cole Whitney, Lawson Humphries, and outfielder Tyler Martin.

Curry hit his first Eagle home run at the bottom of the first inning to tie the game with the RedWolves. Sophomore infielder Jason Swan followed behind with a single to run in Tyler Martin.

GS had a big second inning on bat, adding six more runs to the board. Four RBI singles, a bases loaded walk drawn by freshman Austin Thompson, and a ground out by junior Mason Miller extended the lead, 8-1.

The RedWolves scored five more runs over the next two innings but it was not enough to defeat GS. Sophomore outfielder Christian Avant hit his first home run of the season in the fifth inning, the third of his collegiate career.

Another RBI from junior outfielder Mason McWhorter in the fifth and Swan in the eighth solidified the 11-6 victory.

With this series victory, GS stays put in their first place conference ranking with only one more week of regular season play.

The team will be back in action on Tuesday against Kennesaw State University at 6 p.m.

Amanda Arnold, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu