AAUP claims members don’t feel safe on campus, calls for fully online instruction

AAUP: “It is not hyperbole to suggest that the lives of Georgia residents living in these locales are in the hands of USG Chancellor Wrigley and the Georgia Southern administration.”

AAUP claims members dont feel safe on campus, calls for fully online instruction

Andy Cole, Editor-in-Chief

STATESBORO — In a Wednesday Letter to the Editor, the Georgia Southern chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) expressed their concerns with GS and University System of Georgia (USG) administrations.

Accompanied by praise for university officials, the AAUP also made weighty accusations and demands.

“Many members do not feel safe coming to our campuses,” wrote the AAUP. “The Georgia Southern chapter of the AAUP calls on the university administration to contact USG Chancellor Wrigley to request a move to fully online instruction.”

The letter goes on to allege the lives of the campus community, and surrounding residents, are in the hands of USG Chancellor Steve Wrigley and GS administration.

“We ask the administration to take this action to demonstrate its stated commitment to prioritize the health and safety, not only of the university community, but also the broader Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville communities,” wrote the AAUP. “It is not hyperbole to suggest that the lives of Georgia residents living in these locales are in the hands of USG Chancellor Wrigley and the Georgia Southern administration.”

“[The] micromanaging of faculty teaching by the University System of Georgia enforced by the Georgia Southern administration serves as both a threat to public health and a violation of academic freedom,” the AAUP added. “We urge the administration and the University System of Georgia to allow faculty greater flexibility in conducting their courses, especially regarding the mode of delivery.”

The George-Anne reached out to Jennifer Wise, director of communications, and John Lester, vice president of university communications, who were not immediately available for comment.

Praise for university officials included providing low-cost testing for students, publishing weekly positive case data and providing work and learning accommodations.

The praise was met with other demands including meeting guidelines outlined in the recent White House coronavirus task force state report, daily COVID-19 data reporting and additional course delivery accommodations.

The full Letter to the Editor can be read here.