Serve912 ‘serves’ up new plan amidst COVID-19 pandemic

Davis Cobb, Correspondent

STATESBORO — Student volunteer organization Serve912 is starting up once again for the new school year. With COVID-19 guidelines set by the state and university, their typical event plan has undergone a few renovations.

Operating under Georgia Southern’s office of leadership and community engagement, the organization seeks to assist students and the Statesboro community in interacting with and reaching out to one another while also providing aid to various local organizations in need.

Serve 912 is responsible for several community service events throughout each school year, including the Holiday Helper Tree, Sculpt-It, and Step Into Statesboro.

In previous years, Serve912 would offer around 10-12 volunteer opportunities each week, in which students are invited to travel to various locales around Statesboro or Savannah and help a local organization that needs assistance.

In line with the new regulations set by the Georgia Department of Public Health and the state, the volunteer organization has had to change gears and take a new approach to community service.

Rather than traveling to the location to provide aid, Serve912 is providing on-campus opportunities to help every day. One such is a “take and make” activity, in which students may receive a service activity, complete it on their own time, and turn it in later in the week.

“While we’re continuing to promote service opportunities, the safety of our community and of our students is paramount, so we are following all state and university regulations, ensuring that our student leaders are familiar with COVID requirements, adjusting expectations for what service looks like this year, and encouraging virtual and indirect volunteer opportunities wherever we can,” said Jordan Wilburn, community engagement coordinator for the office of leadership and community engagement.

Serve912’s website and newsletter will also be updated to provide information on other on and off campus service opportunities as well as activities that can be done at home.

Community liaisons will also still be available to help students contact local organizations.