Preview: Softball to take on busy week of play at home

Kaitlin Sells

After splitting their series against University of Louisiana-Monroe 1-1, the Georgia Southern softball team has a busy week ahead of them as they take on both College of Charleston as well as playing a weekend series against the University of Troy.

Georgia Southern (17-19; 4-10)

After collecting a 9-1 win over ULM, the Eagles were finally able to break their six game losing streak and now show for an overall record of 17-19 and a conference record of 4-10.

As a team, the Eagles show a batting average of .273, while junior outfielder Shelby Wilson leads GS with her .396 batting average. Wilson has collected 24 runs, 36 hits and seven home runs on the season during her 91 at-bats. Senior catcher/infielder powerhouse Logan Harrell collected another home run against ULM, tallying her season total at 10 while she’s hitting a .311 batting average while notching 21 runs and 33 hits off her 106 at-bats.

Pitching-wise we can expect to see freshman Ashleigh Morton on the mound at some point during the week of play as she showed for a powerful performance against ULM, allowing her to claim her seventh win on the season. Morton has seen the mound for 54 innings this season, throwing for 19 strikeouts and showing a 3.76 ERA.

College of Charleston (18-20, 3-6)

The Eagles will first be taking on College of Charleston during their week of play, who has shown for an overall record fo 18-20, but has found little success on the road as their away record is 3-7.

The Cougars have shown for a team batting average of .283, while junior outfielder Yari Felix leads the team with an average of .367. Felix has logged 27 runs and 36 hits on the season off her 98 at-bats.

The Eagles should prepare to see freshman Drayton Siegling who has shown to be quite impressive during her first year of college-ball, logging a 2.55 ERA. During the 71.1 innings she’s pitched, the freshman has only allowed 79 hits, 32 runs and has thrown 27 strikeouts.

The Eagles are set to take on the Cougars at home on Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Troy (29-13;11-4)

The Trojans will be a difficult opponent for the Eagles as they sit in third in the Sun Belt, showing for a conference record of 11-4, as well as having the momentum of an 11 game winning streak behind them.

Troy proves to be dangerous on the bats as they show for a team batting average of .282 while sophomore outfielder Talia Truitt leads the Trojans with her .357 average off her 112 at-bats. Truitt has tallied 27 runs and 40 hits on the season, allowing her to show for a .366 slugging percentage.

GS needs to be on the lookout for freshman star pitcher Leanna Johnson who’s logged an impressive 2.24 ERA while showing for a record of 20-5. The freshman has pitched for 149.2 innings on the season where she’s allowed 106 hits and only 51 runs while throwing for 163 strikeouts.

The Eagles will face the Trojans in a three-game series at home, kicking off Friday at 5:30 p.m.

Kaitlin Sells, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.