Georgia Southern Professor named 2018 fellow of the National Collegiate Honors Council

Madeline Branch

Steven Engel, Ph.D., director of the Honors Program at Georgia Southern University was named a 2018 fellow of the National Collegiate Honors Council.

The NCHC awards fellows for their scholarship, service and leadership skills on their campus and within the national honors community.

Back in 2013 Hew Joiner, Ph.D., director emeritus of the Bell Honors Program, was also named a fellow of the NCHC, making this the second time that a professor here at GS has won this award.

“I have the greatest respect for Dr. Hew Joiner,” Engel said. “He developed the Bell Honors Program here into a genuine national model for honors education. To be included in the same group as him as an NCHC Fellow makes me incredibly proud.”

Engel came to Southern in 1999 and has been the director of the Honors Program since 2005.

He has been involved with honors education at the state, regional and national level. Engel has also served as the president for the Georgia Collegiate Council in 2013, the president of the Southern Regional Honors Council in 2015, a member of the NCHC finance committee since 2008 and a treasurer and an executive board member since 2014.

Engel plans on growing the Honors program moving forward is to continue to provide opportunities for undergraduate research and experiential learning, because he insists that, “these are the kind of skills employers and graduate schools want to see.”

Madeline Branch, The George-Anne Candidate, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu