Georgia Southern tennis players to receive conference honors

Kaitlin Sells

Both Georgia Southern men and women’s tennis teams had players receive Sun Belt honors as All-Conference awards were announced Wednesday.

Antonio Muniz- Sun Belt Men’s Tennis Freshman of the Year

Freshman Antonio Muniz was named the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year, making him the fourth freshman to receive this award in program history and the first from the Sun Belt. The preceding Eagle to win the honor is Vincent Patry, awarded in 2003 during the Eagles’ time in the SoCon.

The freshman from Barcelona, Spain played No. 1 and No. 2 singles for the Eagles and shows for an overall 14-7 singles record on the 2019 season. Muniz also notched a 3-1 Sun Belt record and had an impressive run during the season where he collected seven straight singles wins.

“It’s a great honor for Toni,” Georgia Southern Head Coach Sander Koning said in a press release. “He has been playing well all year, and I am happy he got recognition from the conference. He is a great competitor and a great person. I look forward to seeing him develop over the next couple of years.”

Muniz and the Eagles will be in action for the last time this season as they compete in the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Tournament. With play beginning on Friday at 1:30, GS will face off against the number three seed Coastal Carolina.

Emilia Bujan and Arianne de Winter- Women’s All-Conference Second Team in Doubles

Senior Emilia Bujan and junior Arianne de Winter were named to the 2019 Sun Belt All-Conference second team in doubles after showing for an impressive overall season record of 12-8.

The pair found much success on the doubles court and went 5-2 in Sun Belt play and even had an overall 11-8 mark at the No. 1 doubles.

This award is the second straight for de Winter as she earned second-team doubles honors the previous season, while this is Bujan’s first.

“I am so happy for Emi and Ari being recognized by the Sun Belt coaches and earning this All-Conference honor,” Georgia Southern Head Coach Sean McCaffrey said in a press release. “The hard work they both put in has clearly paid dividends. Anytime you can step on the court and feel confident that one of your doubles teams is a favorite to win, it makes things that much easier as a coach.”

The dynamic duo will be back in action with the rest of their team for the final time as they also will be competing the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Tournament. Tournament play will begin for the Eagles while they take on number one seed Appalachian State Thursday at 1:30 p.m.

Kaitlin Sells, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.