Georgia Southern Women look to improve in second year under Anita Howard

Eagles look to build on a good 2019 season

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

After taking over a program that had last seen double-digit wins in 2016, Anita Howard led the Eagle women to this mark in her first season as head coach in Statesboro.

Despite only having three seniors, Eagle fans should have an optimistic mindset headed into the rest of the 2020 season. 10 underclassmen highlight a program marked by youth.

While active on the recruiting trail and in the transfer portal, coach Howard found a hidden gem in senior guard and Arkansas transfer A’Tyanna Gaulden. While with the Razorbacks in 2019, Gaulden averaged 6.9 points, 3.2 assists, and 2.1 rebounds.

Sophomore forward Shondell Vickers, a junior college transfer, has emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the paint. Through four games, Vickers is averaging 7 points, 10.3 rebounds, and 1 block per game in 2020.

Tatum Barber, one of just three Eagle seniors, has emerged as a defensive leader in 2020. Barber is averaging 7.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 1 steal through four games this season.

The Eagle women will play in the Georgia State classic in Atlanta on Dec. 20-21. As a part of the even, the Eagles are set to take on Chattanooga and Western Carolina.

After the Georgia State Classic, the Eagle women will then move on to conference play. Coach Howard’s team should fare well within the conference if their improvement continues to show.

The NCAA Tournament could potentially be in the minds of the Eagle women if a few things go their way. A tournament appearance would be a welcome site for Eagle basketball fans as the women have not made the NCAA Tournament since the 1990s.