Summer Safety
“Beyond Barbie: Does Women’s History Month (Still) Matter?” attendees including the host of the event Dr. Felicity Turner (second to the right).
Beyond Barbie:

Armstrong celebrates Celebrate Armstrong

By Randee May, Staff Writer

Oct. 9 was the start of another great Celebrate.

According to multiple students, this year’s Celebrate was the best one they’d seen so far.

Jamanis Myers, an ASU junior said, “It’s a cool event. You get everyone on campus out and about. There are organizations I didn’t even know about.”

With 84 tables spread out between Science Drive and Burnett Hall, there was something for everyone. From Harry Potter themes to Ancient Greece, the possibilities were endless.

The IT Department pulled off a Harry Potter theme that drew in fans of both the movies and books. They were equipped with Butterbeers, Chocolate Frogs, and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans. Thankfully none of the frogs were jumping away, but it was too bad that there weren’t collector cards; a few students were expecting Albus Dumbledore.

Aside from pulling on our Harry Potter heartstrings, The IT Department was handing out useful information about how to protect yourself from a nasty virus as well as getting rid of them.

Of course the ladies and gentlemen of Greek Life were out and about at well.

Phi Mu Alpha, the only music fraternity here at Armstrong had a ball toss game set up to win goldfish.

Sean White stated that originally there had been fifty fish, but by the time I got there, there were no more than twenty. He stated, “The ball toss is simple. You just have to get the ball in the red circle and you win a fish,”  White continued, “We’re also selling three dollar serenades. Last year someone paid for us to sing to a library researcher. It was funny because everyone just stopped what they were doing. She almost started crying.”

While I didn’t have three bucks to have them serenade a few friends in the bookstore, it was fun trying my luck with the fish and winning.

The French Club also had a table at Celebrate. “This is my fourth year as a member of the French Club,” Henry Tarwater stated. “I was an Officer last year and helped to run the Francophone. We had record attendance.” Tarwater is currently minoring in French and recently took a trip to France.

Gannon Mason who is also an Officer of French Club stated, “I really enjoy the French culture and would like to learn more about it. I’ve only been a member for three weeks, but I’ve enjoyed the experience so far.”

The French Club raffled off a SpongeBob Piggy Bank and a cookie cake, all while promoting their Film Festival for next year.

Across from them, the Anthropology Club kicked things off with a donut eating contest.

Although Anthropology isn’t a major on campus, the club has drawn in a good batch of members.

“They do quite a bit. Jungle Friends, community service, Protect Our Dolphins, and Roots and Shoots,” Laura Seifert, an Anthropology professor stated.

Not everything about Celebrate required a table; there were activities like Bull Riding and The High Strike.

Robert Anderson stood watch at the High Strike. This was his first time helping with Celebrate, and he watched with amusement as students tested their strength.

One student in particular, Catherine Evans, caught the attention of passersby as she coached a fellow student.

“Use the very tip of the handle and hit the very tip of the block,” Evans shouted, “only slam it at the very end.”

The group cheered on the young male student as he tried over and over again. It wasn’t long before he became too frustrated to even hit the block, and after three complete misses he gave up.

In addition to Harry Potter, Serenading, and SpongeBob piggy banks, there were groups like Collaboration Models, Veteran Affairs, Gay-Straight Alliance, the Library and Learning Commons, and Baptist Collegiate Ministries.

Collaboration Models were spreading the word about their upcoming event, “Your Worst Fears,” on Oct. 27, featuring the ASU Dance Team.

Veteran Affairs sold rubber ducks painted to fit each branch of the military. They also offered students the chance to write thank you letter to the veterans.

The Gay-Straight Alliance promoted and spread the word about National Coming Out Day, held on Oct. 11. It was perfect timing with states like Nevada, Alaska, and North Carolina striking down same-sex marriage bans.

The Library and Learning Commons took to fun and games as they played Literary Theme Pictionary and Draw That Book. From the Scarlet Letter to Cat in the Hat, it was an all out drawing fest.

Baptist Collegiate Ministries offered free snow cones with flavors like Sin, The Blood of Jesus, Forgiveness, The Holy Spirit, Spiritual Life, Spiritual Growth, and Heaven. Of course the real flavors were things like grape, lemon, and wild cherry.

Celebrate was exciting and much easier to maneuver with the tables close together. The free food and music also added a nice touch.