Anthropology Program to host Anthropology Week on campus

• Last year was the first year that the anthropology program celebrated an entire week dedicated to World Anthropology Day. Anthropology professor Jennifer Tookes said hundreds of people attended the event.

'

Elizabeth Gross

{{tncms-inline content=”<p>A previous version of this article had the headline read, "Anthropology Department to host Anthropology Week on campus". It should have read, "Anthropology Program to host Anthropology Week on campus" instead. Also, department was used again in the first sentence of the article. Both of these have been corrected and The George-Anne regrets these errors.</p>” id=”9f02e80f-ae94-47d3-b9a7-1ed0d407a00c” style-type=”correction” title=”Correction” type=”relcontent”}}

The Georgia Southern University Anthropology Program is set to host Anthropology Week, an event with anthropology related lectures, arts and crafts and film screening.

Anthropology professors from Georgia Southern University will talk about their respective subfields Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, anthropology professor Jennifer Tookes said.

Monday, Feb. 18

Professor Matthew Compton will discuss toad remains and speculate over the hallucinogenic use of them in Carroll room 2260 at 12:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Feb. 19

Tuesday, Feb. 19 will feature professor Heidi Altman talking about what linguistic anthropologists do and her applied research in Carroll room 2260 at 12:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 20

Professor Ryan McNutt will discuss conflict archaeology on Wednesday, Feb. 20 in Carroll room 2260 at 12:30 p.m.

“These are brown bag lectures, so we are welcoming people to bring their lunch and relax and settle in and munch and listen and learn,” Tookes said.

Thursday, Feb. 21

There will be a student research panel on Thursday, Feb. 21 at 4 p.m. in Carroll room 2255 where anthropology students will be showcasing their research findings, according to the flier. World Anthropology Day is on Thursday.

“I love that all of our anthropology majors come out and talk to non-majors about how excited they are about anthropology,” Tookes said. “That’s actually my very favorite part. We have very active very involved anthropology majors.”

The arts and crafts event will be happening on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Carroll Building atrium. Tookes said that they will be doing pinch pots and finger weaving, which are ancient cultural crafts and skill sets.

Tookes said that the archaeologists will have many artifacts and animal bones out on display, and she will be showing her banners and display of her research of oral histories on the Georgia coast. There will also be linguistic anthropologists teaching attendees how to write their name in the Cherokee alphabet.

“They’ll also be doing a primitive technology demonstration on Thursday, which will be very cool,” Tookes said. “The archaeologists will be out in front of the Carroll Building showing how technology worked in more primitive days. I believe there will be fire involved.”

Students will also be selling hand-made chocolate shaped into hearts and brains in the Carroll atrium on Thursday, Tookes said.

The film screening for “Bending the Arc” will be also at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Carroll room 2227, according to the flier. Tookes said the film is about a medical anthropologist.

Last year was the first year that the anthropology department celebrated an entire week dedicated to World Anthropology Day. Tookes said hundreds of people attended the event.

“It’s a chance for people who don’t know what anthropology is to really get a sample of the huge variety of things that we do that are very relevant to the world that we live in today,” Tookes said.

Tookes said that anthropology week is a great opportunity for students to learn about anthropology without having to take a class.

Tookes said, “Basically, we all think that anthropology is absolutely wonderful. We adore what we do, and we want to share that joy with the rest of the university.”

Elizabeth Gross, The George-Anne News Reporter, ganewsed@georgiasouthern.edu