Georgia Southern drops three-game series to West Virginia, gets first home win of the season

Ryan Kostensky

The Eagles fell in two of their three games of the home-opener to the Mountaineers of the Big-12, despite stellar pitching throughout the weekend. The bats for GS just couldn’t come alive, scoring just three runs in the series. Here’s the breakdown for how each game went.

Game one, Friday, Feb. 22, 6:30 p.m.: GS 1 WVU 5

Junior starting pitcher Seth Shuman went head-to-head with WVU starter Alek Manoah, who was hitting 98 on the radar gun consistently all night. Shuman struck out nine batters in his six inning of work, getting his first quality start of the season, while falling to 0-2 on the year.

GS trailed from the third inning on, but it wasn’t until the seventh and eighth innings where the Mountaineers put up more runs and ran away with the game.

The Eagles came out rather stagnant on offense, being held hitless by Manoah until the fourth inning, and only driving one run in.

Game two, Saturday Feb. 23, 1 p.m.: GS 1 WVU 3

GS fell in the first leg of Saturday’s double header, getting no help from the offense yet again. The Eagles were once again held hitless through the first four and a third innings of play and didn’t score their lone run until the eighth inning, where sophomore outfielder Christian Avant just missed a home run off the top of the Blue Monster, driving a run in with a double.

Freshman pitcher Braden Hays got the rock for the Eagles, and surrendered two runs in the top of the first inning before settling down.

Game three, Saturday Feb. 23, 5 p.m. GS 1 WVU 0

Looking to avoid being swept for the first time on the young season, GS sent senior pitcher Daniel Collins to the mound looking for some answers. Collins went six innings of shutout baseball, surrendering just four hits while earning his first D-1 victory. The seasoned pitcher had no room for error with the early offensive woes, and came through when the team needed it the most.

The offense came out for the third straight game being held hitless through four and two thirds, but got a hit in the fifth. In the sixth inning, sophomore infielder Jason Swan drove in the go-ahead run, giving the Eagles their first lead of the series.

Sophomore pitcher David Johnson and senior pitcher Cole Whitney closed the door on West Virginia over the final three innings, getting GS that much needed win.

The Eagles travel to Mount Pleasant, SC, where they face the College of Charleston on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.

Ryan Kostensky, The George-Anne Sports Reporter, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu