Delta Tau Delta Georgia Southern chapter loses national charter for hazing

Matthew Enfinger

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity suspended its charter from its Georgia Southern University chapter for acts of hazing during fall 2018.

Members of the fraternity were informed of the decision at a meeting on Dec. 1, 2018 Jack Kreman, Delta Tau Delta chief executive officer, said.

Investigations into the fraternity began after a concerned individual called the Dean of Students Office on Nov. 7 and said they received three videos with footage of alleged hazing by the GS Chapter of Delta Tau Delta.

The three videos provided contained footage of fraternity applicants being told to lie face first in the mud, drink a yellow/green chunky substance and do “wall sits” with a weight over head, according to records.

According to an investigative report by Student Conduct Coordinator William Mast, GS students and new members of Delta Tau Delta were identified in the videos. However, when interviewed new members denied the events that occurred in the videos.

“Hazing has no place within Delta Tau Delta,” Kreman said in an email. “Despite intentional effort to educate members through national resources and local volunteer guidance, a few members made the choice to act contrary to our values. The Fraternity has no tolerance for such behavior and both the individuals involved and the chapter are being held accountable.”

With this action, chapter operations have ceased, and individual members are not permitted to operate in the name of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, Kreman said in an email.

Kappa Sigma hazing investigation update

Along with the GS chapter of Delta Tau Delta, the GS chapter of Kappa Sigma was investigated for hazing and assaulting new members at an initiation event in April 2017.

According to GS’ fraternity and sorority life page, Kappa Sigma is currently suspended by the dean of students until Dec. 31, 2019 and on disciplinary probation from Jan. 1, 2020 to Dec. 31, 2024.

According to an email by Mitchell Wilson, Kappa Sigma Fraternity executive director, the chapter will have to appear before the Supreme Executive Committee in Denver, Colorado on Jan. 26 to show cause as to why the chapter should remain chartered.

For more on the Kappa Sigma investigations, click here.

For more on the Delta Tau Delta investigation, click here.

Matthew Enfinger, The George-Anne Editor-in-Chief, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu.