Super Bowl Sunday for the GS community

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

This Sunday the Kansas City Chiefs will be playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the title of 2021 Super Bowl champions. 

The usual get togethers, tailgates, and viewing parties centered around this match are having to be done through the filters and limitations of COVID. 

Of the 50 Georgia Southern community members we spoke to through a google form and on campus interviews, 30 say they plan on watching the game others can only reminisce of the annual traditions they will be missing.

Such as this faculty member who said they’d be, “Watching from home with my family. I will miss my friends’ Chili contest/Super Bowl watching party. Maybe next year.”

Those who are planning something slightly bigger include ideas such as this student who enthusiastically typed, “Going to Eagle Creek Brewery to study and do homework during the day and then watch the game at night!”

Another student had similar plans, “Go to wild wings and watch the game.”

A quick interview with Chhay and Zach as they made their way down the greenway revealed that Chhay planned to watch the game with his roommates. While Zach explained what his fraternity was planning for socially distanced, hand sanitizer available, and mask wearing version of the pre-pandemic Super Bowl watching get-togethers.

“You don’t want parties with people that you haven’t had much contact with,” Dr. Fauci said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday. “You just don’t know if they’re infected, so as difficult as that is, at least this time around, just lay low and cool it.” Wrote the New York Times about the upcoming festivities.

This was supported by the CDC’s suggestion of the possibility of small get togethers, “If you do have a small gathering with people who don’t live with you, outdoors is safer than indoors. This year, choose a safer way to enjoy the game.”

For more information about how to hold small gatherings or gathering alternatives you can visit the CDC’s page here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays/small-gatherings.html