What to do During Spring Break if COVID Ruined your Plans

Jenna Wiley, Editor-in-Chief

Normally spring break is something every college student looks forward to, huge beach parties and hitting the downtown scene every night. After last years endless spring break (literally), no one wants a repeat of COVID outbreaks that force us to stay home for the remainder of the semester. The way college students will be enjoying their time off this go around will be different than ever before, but here is a list of thing you and your friends can do to make life seem semi-normal.

Private Lake/Beach Rental

Most people associate spring break with water. While making the trip to Miami or the COVID crock-pot that is the Daytona beaches is probably not safe, there are still ways to soak up those rays. Get your closest friends together (quarantine beforehand) and rent a house on Airbnb or Vrbo. Make sure to always check the CDC recommended COVID travel protocols before nailing any plans down.

Baleigh Fennell, a senior criminal justice major here at GS, has similar plans with her roommates, just somewhere colder.

“We’ve never been skiing or snowboarding so we all pitched in and got an Airbnb for a week in Colorado.” Fennell said. “All of us are getting tested fro COVID before and after we go and we’ll be quarantining before and after together too.”

Staycation

If traveling across state lines isn’t something on your radar this spring break, have no fear! There are plenty of ways to have fun while staying at home. You could explore a local park you’ve been wanting to see or have the ultimate pajama movie marathon.

Go Camping

Going camping is a fun and affordable way to stay safe but also enjoy your spring break. Camping offers a similar experience to renting a beach house, but more rough around the edges. This website has up to date national park and camp ground openings to make sure you have a place to sleep before your splurge on all the camping gear.

Spend time with your parents

Ok before you scroll past this one, just consider it. Spending more time with my parents is something I wished I did during my first few years at college. And with travel restrictions and COVID outbreaks popping up everyday, this is the perfect time to do it. I mean why not? Free food, you don’t have to pay for a rental house and you’re getting to spend some time with your family.