GS replaces four coaches on football staff

Just over three weeks ago, head coach Chad Lunsford announced the final coaching staff for the 2021 season

DJ Cadden, Correspondent

After a rollercoaster of a season that ended on a high note, it seemed inevitable that there would be many changes to the coaching staff.

The offensive staff was nearly completely changed, but a number of other supporting roles were also replaced this offseason.

Nick Jones

The first addition to the Eagle coaching staff was Nick Jones, who will serve as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.

Jones was an offensive lineman at the University of Georgia from 2003-2006, where he started 32 consecutive games and was an All-SEC selection in 2006.

As a coach, Jones has overseen multiple top-ranked special teams units and all-conference level tight ends. At Colorado State, his last stop among the college ranks, the Rams finished No. 6 in net punting after finishing No. 88 the year before Jones’ arrival. Also at CSU, Jones directly coached Ryan Stonehouse, who earned a first-team All-MWC selection.

Geep Wade

The second addition was offensive line coach Geep Wade. Wade has over two decades of experience coaching offensive linemen.

Wade’s last stop was at UT Martin, but he also has history at East Carolina, Middle Tennessee State and Marshall. However, after the 2018 season, Wade took time away from football to work within his family business.

“That year off was great for me to re-evaluate some things,” said Wade. “I had some opportunities, but wasn’t going to turn this one down.”

Derrick Sherman

The next addition to the Eagle staff was Derrick Sherman, who will serve as the wide receivers coach.

Sherman’s name may sound familiar to some Eagle fans because he served as an offensive graduate assistant for the Eagles in 2014. Since his time in Statesboro, Sherman has made stops at Pittsburg State, Tulane, and Samford.

While at Samford, Sherman oversaw the record season of Bulldog receiver Kelvin McKnight. During his All-Southern Conference freshman team season, McKnight caught 100 passes for a school-record 1,453 yards and nine touchdowns.

“As soon as I got the call and got the details, there wasn’t much other than asking the boss-boss [my wife] just to make sure it was all good to come back to Statesboro,” said Sherman. “It was very short, sweet, and easy.”

Joe Graves

The final addition to the Eagle coaching staff was Joe Graves, who will serve as the running backs coach. The addition of Graves came late in the offseason after Chris Foster left GS for East Carolina.

As a player, Graves is one of the most decorated student athletes in Southeastern Louisiana history, garnering three All-SLC selections and helping guide the Lions to back-to-back conference championships in 2013 and 2014.

Graves has made coaching stops at SLU and Louisiana Monroe. While with the Warhawks, Graves oversaw the development of star running back Josh Johnson.

In two seasons under Graves, Johnson rushed for over 1,600 yards and 15 touchdowns while averaging more than 5.5 yards per carry.