GS falls to Georgia in a whirl of missed opportunities

Failure to convert proves to be the difference for the Eagles

DJ Cadden, Correspondent

After sweeping a top-5 Georgia Bulldog team in 2020, the hype around this season’s home-and-home series was understandably very high.

The student section was completely full over an hour before the scheduled first pitch, which left hundreds of students waiting in line outside the stadium.

The Bulldogs jumped on the Eagle early, quickly taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning.

The Bulldogs extended the lead to three runs in the third inning when Corey Collins brought in his second RBI of the day. Riley King followed up Collins with a single for the Bulldogs’ third run.

The Eagles responded in the fifth as Jarrett Brown brought in just his third RBI of his career.

The Bulldogs scored another run in the fifth and seventh innings, which left the visitors with a 5-1 lead entering the final inning.

A Jason Swan single brought in Jarrett Brown and cut the UGA lead to just three runs.

With two runners on, UGA chose to intentionally walk GS star Mason McWhorter and load the bases. This left the fate of the game in Austin Thompson’s hands.

Thompson fought to extend the at-bat, but a foul just a tad short of the back net fell into the glove of UGA catcher Fernando Gonzalez to end the game.

Despite accumulating 11 hits, the Eagles also left a whopping 10 runners stranded on Tuesday. This is nothing new for GS, as they have left 101 runners on base through 12 games so far this season.

While the Eagles rank within the top-15 in the country in total hits, this continued failure to convert is a big reason why GS has not seen consistent success.

After the brutal loss, the Eagles’ record is currently 6-6. However, GS has won just one game against the three most talented opponents so far in Tennessee, East Carolina and Georgia.

The Eagles are back in action this weekend as UAB will travel to Statesboro for a three-game series. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. on Friday, 2 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.