Pandemic doesn’t stop spring breakers

Caitlin-Grace Daniels, Correspondent

Georgia College and University of Georgia opted to cancel their spring break this year to navigate around students’ traveling tendencies during this time and avoid COVID-19 exposures once they returned; however Georgia Southern did not cancel their spring break.

“After extensive discussions amongst university officials and public health experts, we decided not to alter our academic calendar this semester and to continue relying on our protocols that have shown to be effective in keeping our campus communities safe,” says Dr. John Lester, vice president for University Communications and Marketing at GS.

Many took trips to beaches along the Florida and Alabama coastlines where mask mandates were few and far between. 

“Masks were only enforced when I was trying to gain access into a restaurant, hotel or bar,” said a student who travelled to Miami. “Otherwise, there weren’t that many restrictions.”

Some members of the GS community feel that even though our spring break was not cancelled, it was inconsiderate of students to party and travel without wearing masks or social distancing. 

“I feel that they don’t take this pandemic seriously,” says Georgia Southern student Anna Messick. “I lost a family member to Covid last summer so it makes me upset that so many of my peers don’t seem to care.”

Fears of COVID-19 spread are expected as students have returned back from spring break and more businesses are easing up on regulations. 

According to GS’ CARES Center, the week prior to spring break, March 8-14, the total number of positive cases at GS was 19. 

The total confirmed positive case numbers for this week at GS will be released Sunday to know whether or not a spike is underway. 

“The number of appointments does not appear to be more than usual,” says Dr. Angela Gerguis, physician at GS Health Services. “I would not expect to see an increase in volume of patients until later this week or next week.”

“I just pray and hope they quarantine and stay safe during this time,” said GS student, JaQuaylon Taylor. “I’m partially vaccinated and I hope the rest of the students can get vaccinated before summer.” 

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that if you feel sick you should: 

1. Stay home except to receive medical care and separate yourself from other people.
  2.  Monitor your symptoms and call ahead before visiting a doctor.
  3.  Get tested.
  4. Wear a mask, wash your hands and cover your coughs and sneezes.
  5. Avoid sharing personal household items and clean all “high-touch” surfaces.