Eagle hot streak comes to end in Jonesboro

GS loses first series in over a month

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

Over the last month, the Georgia Southern Eagles have been arguably the hottest team in college baseball. However, the momentum of the Eagles came to an end as GS lost two of three games to Arkansas State over the weekend.

The GS offense was nonexistent as the series opened on Friday with a 6-1 victory for the Red Wolves. The Eagle offense mustered just six hits, including an Austin Thompson home run, while also leaving six runners stranded.

On the mound, Tyler Owens was credited with his first loss of the season as he failed to strikeout a single batter.

Due to inclement weather in the forecast on Sunday, the teams were forced to play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 4 p.m.

After a disappointing offensive performance on Friday, things got even worse for the Eagle offense to open up Saturday’s action. ASU held GS scoreless during the first leg of the doubleheader as they cruised to a 4-0 victory.

In his second start back, freshman Chase Dollander recorded his second loss of the season on the mound.

After losing the series, the Eagles rebounded during the late game on Saturday with a 3-2 victory.

GS scored two runs on wild pitches by the Red Wolves, but the winning run came from a Noah Ledford groundout in the third inning.

Jordan Jackson struck out 11 batters in six innings and recorded his third victory of the season. Nick Jones pitched the final five outs and accumulated his 14th save of the season, which leads the NCAA.

The Eagles now sit at 28-18 (12-9 SBC) on the season. GS is now in second in the Sun Belt’s East division, behind only the South Alabama Jaguars.

GS will be back in action this weekend as they travel to North Carolina for a three-game series at Elon. First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, 4:00 p.m. on Friday and 1:00 p.m. on Sunday.