Healthy Choices in On-Campus Dining

A brick pizza oven station will be featured at the Main Dining Commons and will provide students with specialty made-to-order pizzas.Photo by: Amanda White

Noelle Walker, Contributor

College can be hard. Want to know what’s even harder? Finding some healthy, yet tasty, foods to eat in order to avoid the freshman fifteen.
While the Dining Halls have many healthy items, they also have a ton of unhealthy food options that you may want to steer clear of. This includes the crepe station, pizza, pasta, and fried foods, or foods that have an excess of grease. If you do decide to indulge, remember that moderation is key. Don’t know where to start? Keep reading. Below is a guide to the healthiest foods Dining Commons and Lakeside has to offer.
According to MyPlate, you need a healthy balance of protein, grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy.
The Dining Halls both offer many different options of vegetables every day such as carrots, broccoli, grilled asparagus, plus a wide range of fruits like strawberries, pineapple, and oranges.
There is also a salad bar with different leafy greens you can choose from (the darker the better) and healthy toppings to add including, but not limited to, cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes. Keep in mind that, if you do decide to use salad dressing, it is healthiest to use it in moderation.
The sandwich stations in Dining Commons and Lakeside have many nutritional options. You have different choices of bread (whole wheat and rye bread are the healthiest)–you could even turn your sandwich into a wrap. They also offer selections of meats, cheeses, and toppings.
According to Georgia Southern’s Eagle Dining website, the dining halls offer foods for students with gluten intolerance, celiac disease, medical conditions, religious diets and more. The Dining Commons’ station called “No Whey!” is especially targeted to students with food allergies and intolerances. Both dining halls also have burrito stations which include options of grilled chicken, beans, and greens.
There are plenty of healthy proteins offered throughout the stations including seafood, such as salmon and swordfish, and poultry, such as grilled chicken breasts (available at Lakeside), and lemon pepper chicken.
Georgia Southern offers students the option of consulting with nutritional coordinator, Brittany Parham. She works with students to determine the best food options for them as well as give healthy eating advice. She can be contacted at (912) 478-1208 (more contact information is available on the Georgia Southern’s Eagle Dining page on their website).
If you’re not sure what options are best for you, MyPlate at https://www.choosemyplate.gov/ is very informative on the best foods for your body and how many calories you should have a day (it is different for everyone).