GS Alumna dedicates her time to improve education of low-income kids

Bisola Oke

A Georgia Southern University alumna has started a tutoring program with the aim of helping low-income families.

Shunda Williams began tutoring camp June 2018 to improve the education of economically disadvantaged kids.

William, a graphics design major, said that she was inspired by her son to start the Williams Event MOVE! Tutoring Camp and Summer Fun.

“My son was my inspiration… after re-entry into 3rd grade, we knew he needed some additional support to make sure he was prepared for 4th grade. I tried to find a tutor for the summer but every attempt fell through,” Williams said. “That’s when the idea of the Summer Camp hit. Somehow, in 30 days, the entire camp manifested, site coordinator, transportation, sponsors and all!”

Williams said that the purpose of the program is to provide customized tutoring service to each child according to their academic ability in a way they are able to retain it.

“Our goal is to take the child who does not learn by “traditional methods,” observe their challenges, interests and strengths and then bring creative and hands-on activity to their learning experience,” Williams said.

Volunteer tutors from GS hold tutoring sessions with their students for about two hours in the library from Monday to Thursday. On Friday, the kids are taken to Mill Creek Park to have some fun and then to the Statesboro library.

Williams explained that working with students comes as a second nature to her because she has had various experiences with them from when she was a student and when she worked at GSU.

“I’m a former GSU student, I’ve worked as staff on GSU’s campus, as a student, and after as staff at Continuing Education and, now, with the College of Business. Working with students is second nature,” Williams said.

Williams mentioned that some challenges she faced while starting the tutoring camp involved providing snacks, transportation and even field trips for the student as the purpose of the camp was not to get rich.

“During the summer, the goal was to keep registration very low as it is a fact that many students who struggle academically live in low-income families. The goal is to provide a service, not get rich,” Williams said. “So covering transportation, snacks, Friday field trips, materials and rental space costs was a challenge. It drove me to learn a lot about fundraising, donations and sponsorship. I’m still learning.”

For more information, visit here.

Bisola Oke, The George-Anne Daily Reporter, ganewed@georgiasouthern.edu