Georgia Southern QB to miss first two games

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

During a press conference on  Wednesday afternoon, Georgia Southern head coach Chad Lunsford announce that quarterback Justin Tomlin was ineligible for the first two games of the season. The suspension stems from previous academic problems.

“We knew after the fall semester that he was not going to be eligible,” said Lunsford. “He did a really good job during the spring semester and did a really good job during summer to make sure he didn’t lose any other eligibility.”

In addition to the loss of Tomlin, back-up quarterback Connor Cigelske suffered an undisclosed injury that will keep him out until October at the earliest.

Despite the loss of his top two quarterbacks, Lunsford exuded a high level of confidence in the other quarterbacks on the roster.

“Cam’Ron Ransom, a true freshman, has done a really good job this summer as far as picking up the offense,” said Lunsford. “Sam Kenerson, he’s another guy I think can be magic with the ball in his hands.”

Kenerson is the only other quarterback on the current GS roster has seen snaps for the Eagles. As a redshirt freshman, Kenerson has only seen two offensive snaps for GS.

Lunsford also spoke highly of Army transfer Quincy Bonner, who is the newest addition to the Eagle quarterback room. Lunsford noted that Bonner understood a lot of the offense due to playing in a similar system at West Point.

“I think it’s a really good room,” said Lunsford. “I think that there’s a lot of things during this preseason schedule to have a lot of competition and see who that guy is going to be.