Eagle Luau comes back without a hitch

Justin Hall, Correspondent

The Campus Recreation and Intramurals partied like the tropics this past Thursday for their 8th annual Eagle Luau event.

The event was a tropical, colorful one that featured students from all over the Statesboro campus relaxing in the CRI’s swimming pool, dining on pizza from Papa John’s, playing games to win prizes, and listening to a DJ spin the latest hits. 

CRI hosted hula hoop competitions as well as a game involving frozen T-shirts for contestants to unwrap and thaw in the swimming pool before throwing them on as quickly as possible. 

Students also played Bucket Pong, Giant Jenga, Cornhole and Water Basketball. 

The team onboard for the event was excited to return after a one-year absence. Max Holloway, Aquatic Program Director for the CRI, shared his sentiments as well as the goals and dreams they have for the Luau.

“It’s to bring attention and awareness to the outdoor pool,” said Holloway. “It gives students an opportunity to get out and socialize.” 

Halley Gardner, Team Leader for Aquatics, was thrilled to be a part of it and her favorite part was the planning. 

“I get to plan this and it’s really cool,” said Gardner. “It’s really nice to see this many people turn out considering we didn’t have many events last year due to COVID.” 

According to Gardner, the CRI has been planning the Luau for about the last month, doing bits and pieces over the last two weeks. Gardner also had high praise for her team members that helped out in setting up the event.

“They have been a huge help,” said Gardner. “I couldn’t have done it without them.” 

Logan Polk, Aquatics Graduate Assistant, also was quite proud of the turnout and believed that the planning was crucial in making sure students enjoyed the event. 

“The planning has been the most exciting part of it and to see that planning play out and be successful,” said Polk. “We hope to have more and more people and games each time.”