Student CEO’s

MacKenzie Stewart, Multimedia Journalist

Last Friday, Square1GSU students lined E. Main St. in downtown Statesboro with booths, advertising and selling their products at Market on Main, an event designed specifically for student entrepreneurs and small businesses.

“It’s an opportunity for student businesses to come out and connect with the community and sell their products. and really, just to demonstrate to them, how great of a community it is here in Statesboro,” said Ben Youngstrom, president of Square1GSU.

Market on Main supported over a dozen small businesses and vendors, all owned and operated by students. One of those vendors included Haley Reynolds, owner of Betty’s Beauty Cosmetics. 

“I started it last year during the pandemic. I had some extra time on my hands, so I decided to do it. It’s named after my grandmother in memory of her. I have lip glosses, beard oil, body scrubs, lip scrubs and also handmade soaps. I make everything by myself and everything has natural products,” said Reynolds. 

For Shelby Smiley, an online small business owner since 2018, selling in-person gave her the experience of meeting her customers. 

“These events are what makes it so fulfilling for me. I love to get to meet the people that are buying from me and make relationships and connections for my business,” said Smiley, owner and operator of Selling Sunshine Co.

Student vendors at Market on Main were not only able to sell their products, but also work on their customer service skills and meet the people who keep them in operation.

For more information about the vendors at Market on Main, you can visit www.square1gsu.com