Volleyball Back in Full Swing after Last Season

Justin Helms, Multimedia Journalist

Last year COVID-19 shrunk the women’s volleyball team’s season, cutting it to only 18 matches. This season they will almost double that by playing in 33 matches with restrictions lifted. Head Coach Chad Willis and some of the players spoke about how excited they are for the upcoming season. 

“That’s first and foremost what we’re excited about those 17 home matches, but other than that I’m really just excited for this team to get an opportunity to get out and put another team on the other side of the net,” said Willis. 

“I’m pumped for this season; I’m thrilled just that we’ll have more of a regular season. We’re playing more games, our start is earlier so I’m just really excited to get after it earlier this year and have more of a normal season,” said sophomore defensive specialist, Rebekah Farthing.

Another thing both Coach Willis and the team are excited for this season is the depth and outstanding freshman class. Now, with 80% of team being recruited by the current coaching staff, they feel poised to take a big leap.

“You know we’ve got some returners that have been in the system now for a couple of years, they know what the expectation is. Then you add 8 freshmen to that mix, and I think they’ve done an outstanding job of just coming in and investing themselves,” said Willis. 

Adversity is going to find a way to manifest in their gym Willis stated. He likes how the team has handled everything they’ve faced.

“You know one thing that I’m proud of is this team’s resilience. We have really discovered how to have the right mentality and that is a win everyday mentality,” says Willis

When asked how far they will go in the Sun Belt the players responded with confident smiles. “I think we’re going to win,” senior Baylor Bumford declared.

With a full season at hand the Georgia Southern Women’s Volleyball team looks to make a big turnaround from last year. Adding 17 home matches to their schedule they’ll hope to compete in this year’s Sun Belt Conference tournament.