Eagles pick up first win of the year, but drop two in Minnesota

• Sophomore Skylar Ball (4) had 23 kills over the weekend. 

Kaitlin Sells

This weekend Georgia Southern volleyball traveled to Minnesota to participate in the Diet Coke Classic where they went 1-2 for the weekend.

Arkansas (L; 0-3)

The weekend started with a straight three set loss to Arkansas which wasn’t too pretty.

The first set was close, Arkansas just barely pulling out the win by three points as the final score of the first set was 25-22. The following two sets were not as close, though seeing a score of 25-6 and 25-16.

The Eagles still managed to work in 19 kills during the match, but averaged a negative .013 hitting percent.

Junior Carly Turner was a game leader with seven kills and freshman Maddie Bryant followed her with four kills and three blocks.

Minnesota (L; 0-3)

Following Arkansas, the Eagles took on number three ranked team Minnesota who also took the game in the three-set sweep.

Each set wasn’t too different from the last as set one and two both had the scores of 25-13 and the final set showed the score of 25-10.

The Eagles did look better on the court than the previous match, with 29 kills and a .020 hitting percentage compared to MINN’s 37 kills and a .451 hitting percentage.

Sophomore Skylar Ball lead GS with her eight kills and one block while Turner followed close behind as another game leader with eight kills.

North Dakota State (W; 3-0)

The Eagles were able to pull out a win in their final matchup of the weekend over North Dakota State in a three-set sweep.

All three sets were close matchups as scores showed a 25-19 win, a 27-25 win, and a 25-18 win. It was obvious the Eagles didn’t let the previous games affect their performance as they showed 48 kills and a .297 hitting percent.

Skylar Ball was again a huge asset and game leader, notching 12 kills and one block, as well as Maddie Bryant who also logged 12 kills and has three blocks.

“I’m so proud of our players tonight,” Head Coach Duston Wood said to gseagles. “They stuck through the very tough schedule we put together in our first two weeks. The staff saw that we were getting better playing some tough matches early, and our kids finally saw it too tonight.”

What’s Next?

The Eagles will be back in action Tuesday, September 4 facing off against North Florida at 6:30 p.m. on the Armstrong Campus in Savannah.