Turnovers haunt Georgia Southern in big loss

DJ Cadden, Sports Editor

The Eagles suffered another brutal loss on the gridiron Saturday evening, falling to Coastal Carolina, 28-8.

Down just a touchdown midway through the second quarter, the Eagles seemed to be executing their game-plan to perfection.

However, back-to-back drives resulting in fumbles, allowed the Chanticleer offnese to begin enforcing their dominance. On top of these miscues, the Chanticleers blocked an Anthony Beck punt and returned it for a touchdown.

“We gave them two touchdowns off a sudden change and it really just took the wind out of us,” said interim head coach Kevin Whitley. “Anytime you play a really good team, it’s all about taking care of the football and we didn’t do a good job of that.”

Despite the announcement that Coastal Carolina’s All-American quarterback Grayson McCall would miss Saturday’s game, the Eagles had no answer for the Chanticleer offense.

True freshman quarterback Cam Ransom scored the first touchdown of the game for the Eagles late in the fourth quarter.

Ransom’s immediate success could create a slight controversy in the quarterback room, as Justin Tomlin continues to struggle through the air.

“I’ll get with Coach Ruse and the offensive staff and see what their thoughts of it was,” said Whitley when asked about the starting position. “Cam definitely made a case for it.”

Although the Eagles threw for nearly 70 more yards than the Chanticleers, Coastal Carolina won the total offensive and time of possession battle in convincing fashion.

Saturday’s loss marks Georgia Southern’s seventh of the season, which officially eliminates the Eagles from bowl game consideration.

The Eagles now sit at 2-7 (1-5 SBC) on the season, with three games remaining on the schedule.

GS will be back in action next Saturday as they travel to take on Texas State. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPN+.