Offensive outburst propels Eagles to road win

DJ Cadden, Sports Editor

On a brisk Saturday evening in San Marcos, the Eagle offense exploded for 38 points en route to a 38-30 victory over the Texas State Bobcats.

True freshman Cam’Ron Ransom got the start at quarterback and threw for 125 yards, which included a 48-yard touchdown to fellow freshman Derwin Burgess Jr. However, Ransom’s day was ended early due to a shoulder injury early in the third quarter.

Justin Tomlin played in relief of Ransom and continued the success through the air, accumulating 108 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

While the Eagles did the majority of their work on the ground, sophomore running back Jalen White racked up 82 yards on 10 carries. White also found the endzone from 19 and five yards out.

Despite the offensive success, things were not easy for the Eagles on Saturday. For the second straight week, the GS punt team allowed a blocked punt for a touchdown right before halftime.

However, the Eagles responded on the very next possession, when freshman safety Tyrell Davis scored on a blocked punt of his own early in the third quarter.

“I’m really happy for our kids,” said interim head coach Kevin Whitley in a postgame interview. “They played hard. We made a lot of mistakes there and tried to give it away, but we found a way to hold it together. I’m extremely proud of them.”

The Eagles sit at 3-7 (2-5 SBC) following the win, which still slots the team in last place in the conference’s East division.

GS will be back in Statesboro on Saturday when they host the No. 14 BYU Cougars. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPN+.