Where The Drag Queens Are

On Thursday, April 14th, The Office of Multicultural Affairs and Georgia Southern University Housing hosted their annual Drag Show at Armstrong Campus. It was the first time that the event was held in person in two years.

The highly anticipated show was held at the Student Union. Upon entering the building, one could feel music rattling the walls. A crowd of students and faculty filled the lobby and chatted about their show expectations.

Doors opened to a dim-lit room with purple lighting fit for royalty. A stage sat at the far end, with sections of seating boxing in a catwalk area.

The ensemble of queens and kings were clad in jaw-dropping la mode as they sashayed around during each performance.

Faculty and students alike were dazzled. Throughout the show, there was not a point where someone was not cheering along with the performers.

It was an environment full of love for the art form and the queer and ally attendees.

It felt important for a celebration like this to get held at our campus, especially during tension throughout the nation regarding LGBTQ+ rights.

The university also used the event to announce Georgia Southern’s new Truly You program, which will launch next semester. The mentorship program will connect students with a queer community of fellow students.

Students may address any questions regarding the program to OMA@GeorgiaSouthern.Edu

Students may visit https://president.georgiasouthern.edu/multicultural/lgbtq/ for more information about resources and services provided to LGBTQ+ students.