2018 football roster undergoes changes

McClain Baxley

Head coach Chad Lunsford made the rumor of Jallah Zeze joining the Eagles official on Monday.

Zeze joins the team as a freshman tight end from Central Gwinnett in Lawrenceville. His senior year, Zeze racked up 697 receiving yards and nine touchdowns for the Black Knights, which ranked him as the number 156 player in Georgia by 247Sports. Zeze was also named a second-team selection to the 2017 Gwinnett Daily Post All-County Football Squad.

Joining Zeze as a newcomer on the roster is defensive end Justin Ellis who is a transfer from Syracuse University. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Ellis will have to sit out a season, but will be ready to go for the 2019 season.

Ellis was one of just nine freshman to play for the Orange last season where he was featured in two wins against Central Connecticut State and Central Michigan. Off the field, Ellis was an ACC Honor Roll selection.

Ellis also hails from Georgia where he went to Roswell High School and was rated the number 63 strong-side defensive end in the Class of 2017. Ellis helped lead the Hornets to back to back 14-1 seasons, both of which ended in the 7A state championship game.

Both Zeze and Ellis started classes at GS Monday in the term B semester and have begun working out with the Eagles.

While two new Eagles join the team, two Eagles leave. Lunsford announced Monday that senior wide receiver Malik Henry and junior cornerback Christian Matthew have been granted release from the program.

McClain Baxley, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu