Roe Vs. Wade MAKES Georgia Southern Students THINK TWICE About Wanting Kids

Students rethink having kids in the future at Georgia Southern University. The overturn of Roe Vs. Wade made students scared about putting the future generation at risk.

As young adults grow older, the thought about having children is in the back of their minds…

When will I have kids? How many kids will I have? Do I want a boy or a girl? Baby names?

The United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) notes, “of the 20 million college students in the U.S. enrolled during the 2019-2020 academic year, 4.3 million are raising a child”.

Additionally as of 2022, according to National University, “More than 1 out of 5 college students have children”.

That being said, comparing the two, the amount of college students having children has only increased over the years.

What does that mean for the students of Georgia Southern University?

Many students here have thought about having kids, but choose to prioritize their education rather than starting a family. Aaliyah Valcort exclaimed, “I am excited about having children in the future” while Slater Barlow explained, “I thought about kids briefly, but at this point in my life I don’t want any”.

June 24, 2022, US Supreme Court decides to overturn Roe. Vs Wade in an attempt to constitute privacy and protection among citizens of the United States.

“Angered that it was being brought up in the first place” Faith Cale exclaimed about the overturn of Roe V. Wade. Frustrated that the government feels as if they are going backwards.

“I remember going on Twitter the day it was overturned and it being a trending topic and I remember being absolutely heartbroken realizing what has happened. I cried” Barlow explained. 

How does Roe V. Wade relate to having children?

“I’m terrified for her future” Valcourt added when revealing her thoughts about Roe V. Wade impacting her future children.

While some looked on the negative side, Spencer Quesada saw the other side of things, “That (Roe Vs. Wade) made me want to have a daughter more than the reasons why I don’t want to”. He further adds, “If I were to have a daughter that was to support pro life or pro choice, then I wouldn’t see a problem with that. It would make me feel better as a dad, if my daughter had her own opinions”.

Most people of this generation are worried about their lives and the severity of their rights being taken away. Additionally, people wonder if more laws will be overturned. 

What does that mean for the next generation? Will the future of the world be destroyed? 

But none of us really has an answer right now.