Eagles clinch bowl eligibility in thrilling fashion

DJ Cadden, Sports Editor

On a chilly and rainy Saturday night, the Eagles took down rival Appalachian State in a thrilling 51-48 double overtime victory.

Quarterback Kyle Vantrease found senior wide receiver Ezrah Archie to push the Eagles over the Mountaineers. The victory puts GS at 6-6 and in position to make a bowl game.

Appalachian State running back Nate Noel, who ran for 171 yards and three scores, found the endzone on the first play of the Mountaineers’ first overtime drive and sent the game to the sixth period.

However, despite an unnecessary roughness penalty on Eagle cornerback Derrick Canteen, the Mountaineers were forced to take a field goal in the second overtime period. This left the door open for the Eagles eventual game-winner.

To sour things even more, the Mountaineers had a 29-yard field goal attempt to win the game in regulation, but sophomore kicker Michael Hughes pushed the kick left as the clock hit triple zeroes.

The game was back and forth the whole way, as neither team held more than a seven-point lead at any point.

Vantrease threw for 385 yards and three touchdowns in his final home game as an Eagle. Senior wide receiver Jeremy Singleton was his favorite target, hauling in 10 catches for 133 yards.

At 6-6, the Eagles will now await their bowl placement. The announcement of what bowl GS will be traveling to will come next Sunday on ESPN.