Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

GS Mens Soccer earns third consecutive tie against No. 2 West Virginia

Our Georgia Southern soccer team jumped back into conference play on the road last Friday facing the second ranked team in the nation, West Virginia. But defense gave West Virginia a run for their money, earning the eagles their third consecutive tie.

Georgia Southern’s goalkeeper, Nate Martinez, showed out leaving this game with 7 saves and a clean sheet and  he gave us the key pieces to this past week’s tie. 

“Came out with the draw against the number 2 team in the nation which was a good result,” said Martinez. “Obviously I had 7 saves, the back line really really helped me make those saves and everything else they dealt with perfectly.”

Nate’s performance didn’t only earn the eagles the tie but earned him the sun belt conference’s defensive player of the week. 

Defense is a key part to the success for the eagles this season and I spoke to head coach Lee Squires who gave us his thoughts on that

“Gives the boys confidence and the entire sun belt a massive confidence for the schedule we have coming up the boys, executed the game plan,” said Squires. “Well we’d like to have a little more offense about us and try to get forward and not have to defend as much but we had a resilience we showed charter”

Mens soccer has their next game on the road against UCF. After holding teams out left and right, we’ll see if they keep it up.