Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

10 Ways To Help Cope With Your Mental Health

Mental well-being is essential to the everyday lives of college students around the world, helping individuals find ways to relax and take time for themselves in stressful situations.

Not all coping strategies work the same for everyone, alternative techniques may work better for one individual than it does for another.

In honor of Mental Health Awareness Day being celebrated this week, here are some tips and steps that can be used to improve a student’s mental health.

1. Get Some Exercise: go outside on a walk, lift some weight at the gym, or even go for a bike ride. Getting up and moving around will reduce stress and possibly increase alertness and concentration.

1. Decrease Screen Time: oftentimes times when individuals start to feel bad about themselves, they compare themselves to others that they see on social media platforms. Try to set the phone down when self-conscious thoughts arise and do a different activity.

1. Listen To Music: whether it is meditation music or just your favorite tunes, music can help reduce or help you manage your stress. Additionally listening to music decreases feelings of depression and anxiety and increases your motivation!

1. Do Something Creative: maybe you like to bake, draw, or even knit or color inside a coloring book. Using your brain to think creatively and imagine what you will create is a good distraction from bad thoughts.

1. Take A Nap: close the curtains, put on blankets, set a 30-minute to one-hour alarm, and take a nap. Sometimes your body just needs a physical and mental rest from working all day. Taking a short nap whenever you need it will help keep your sleep schedule intact and you feel refreshed.

1. Take A Bath: pour in some Epsom salt, grab a bath bomb, and turn the bath on. Just relax and listen to music or watch a show while letting the hot clean water relax your tense body. Hot water will help calm your body and relax your muscles.

1. Journal: Pick up a pen and a piece of paper and just write. It could be about anything: your feelings, poems, or jokes. You can even draw if you don’t like to write. Engaging with a written activity often boosts your creativity, helping you become more mindful and grounded.

1. Connect With Friends: Reach out to your friends, and ask them what they are doing or what they want to do. Even if it is just sitting and talking, being around a positive and welcoming company will make you feel accepted and appreciated. Having that person around you for a second outlet of help will help you feel less trapped and express your feelings.

1. Do Something You Enjoy: no matter what you do as long as you love to do it, go for it! If it is eating, or getting candy, or shopping, or brushing your teeth. Do it! Take the time out of your day to do something for yourself and recognize that you deserve it!

1. Be Nice To Yourself: when you are feeling bad about yourself, it is easier for you to be mean to yourself rather than say nice things about yourself. Every person is born for a reason and every person is beautiful and unique in their own special way. You are the first person to give yourself a compliment in the morning. Once you treat yourself nicely, you will start to feel better about yourself and the world around you.