“Free Market in the Boro” Aims to Reduce Waste and Support Low-Income Individuals

Every second Saturday of the month, a “Free Market in the Boro” event takes place at Floors Outlet in Statesboro. The event invites individuals to bring items they no longer need to give to other community members who do, as well as find items for themselves to purchase. Everyone is welcome, even if they don’t have items of their own to bring.

Free Market’s Story:

Charly Kinship, who also owns an eco-friendly, artisan focused store “Kinship Endeavors” in Statesboro, is the main organizer of the event. Kinship stated she was introduced to the idea of a free market after running across a local free market where she lived in Athens. She was impassioned by the idea and was a co-organizer of the event for eight years. 

When Kinship moved to Statesboro, she found herself without the community she had grown in Athens and wanted to help build a similar community and event in Statesboro. Beginning with three parking spaces in the parking lot where Kinship Endeavors now is, the event grew quickly, and has since been moved to the current Floors Outlet location.

Music and entertainment is often provided to guests of the market, and child-friendly activities are encouraged and brought as well for children to use as parents shop.

The purpose of the market was not only to give items to those who need it while keeping things out of landfills, but also to provide a sense of community and bring people together. 

Kinship works directly with local organizations to help the community and event remain strong. 

What Happens With Leftover Items?

Leftover items from the event go to different organizations that may be able to use them:

• Humane Society
  • Local homeless shelters
  • Fostering Bulloch 

Free Market’s Future Plans

Kinship hopes to open a resource library where items could be shared, both to those in need as well as to help prevent unnecessary purchases; recycling items and reducing waste in Statesboro.

Those wanting to learn more about the market can email Freemarketintheboro@gmail.com or go to their facebook page at Free Market In The Boro | Statesboro GA | Facebook