Eagles Advance in Sun Belt Tournament After Taking Down Texas State

Aj Henderson-GS Athletics
Diamond Stokes and The Eagle squad after their win against Texas State

Georgia Southern is moving up in the playoffs after defeating number 13 seed Texas State on Tuesday afternoon. Terren Ward’s last second bucket helped to secure the victory. 

GS shot 60 percent in the first quarter giving them a short lead going into the second. By halftime the Eagles were up by 11 points. 

GS kept the lead for the majority of the second half until TS cut the lead to nine points and tied the game with less than two minutes left. They then tied the game again at 70-all with 22 seconds left before Ward scored her last minute basket putting the Eagles up by two points.

Texas State had 4 seconds to try to win it all but a steal from Diamond Stokes sent the Eagles to the next round.

Coach Anita Howard spoke with GS Athletics about her team and their mindset going into the conference playoffs. “I thought Texas State played one heck of a game. We were up 16 points and we felt like we had the game in hand, but then the veteran team in them and Coach Z, who I have a lot of respect for, they just showed up and challenged us down the stretch. I think our ladies came to Pensacola with one thing in mind. This season hasn’t gone like we wanted it to go. I know we are better than our record, I just want these seniors to go out a little bit better. Tonight the team stepped up for those seniors. The team played so we could see another day for these ladies.”

Georgia Southern will face off against University of Louisiana at Monroe in the quarterfinals on Wednesday at 3pm. 

Player Stats:

Terren Ward- 24 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals

Kayla Thomas- 15 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks

Ja’nya Love-hill- 11 points