Chicken Day at Anderson Store Draws Enthusiastic Crowd

The Anderson General Store in Statesboro was abuzz with excitement this past Saturday as poultry enthusiasts and families alike flocked to the Annual Chicken Day event. 

Over 800 feathered friends, including chickens, ducks, and roosters, found new homes, thanks to the efforts of the store’s dedicated team. Liz Marsh, the events coordinator, revealed that the birds were sourced from Ohio, adding an extra touch of charm to the local affair.

But Chicken Day was not just about acquiring new pets. Attendees were treated to a variety of activities, including a petting area featuring adorable baby bunnies, tantalizing food trucks serving up delicious treats, and a unique experience with handcrafted hollow eggs filled with biodegradable confetti—a nod to the colorful Mexican Easter tradition.

One of the highlights of the day was the thrilling chicken race, where these feathered competitors showcased their speed and agility to the delight of the crowd.

Adding to the festivities were special guests from Albany, Georgia, courtesy of Poultry Palace. Joseph and Tabatha Puiszis, the passionate duo behind the company, traveled far and wide to educate people about different chicken breeds. Their star attraction, Levi, the piano-playing chicken, stole the show with his impressive musical talents.

“We drove 5 hours to get here. We love educating people on chickens,” remarked Tabatha Puiszis, reflecting on their dedication to spreading their avian knowledge.

Sadly, this marked the final Chicken Day for Joseph and Tabatha, as they prepare to relocate to Texas. However, their legacy of poultry education will undoubtedly live on.

As the day wound down, visitors were reminded that while the festivities may have ended, there’s still an opportunity to bring home a chick from Anderson Store, with many opting to do so as pets or to ensure a fresh egg supply for breakfast.