Five questions with Quincee Mundy, assistant director of “The House of Yes”

Blakeley Bartee

The Georgia Southern University theatre department is putting on “The House of Yes,” which follows the story of a college student who brings his new fiancée home to his dysfunctional family during a Thanksgiving hurricane, until Feb. 28 in the black box theater in the Center for Art and Theatre.

Quincee Mundy, junior theatre and multimedia film and production major, is the assistant director of GS’s production of the play.

Through email, Mundy provided answers to five questions about “The House of Yes” and her experiences as the assistant director.

Q: What has been your most rewarding experience while working on “The House of Yes”?

A: The most rewarding experience while working on the production has been being there from start to finish. I took part in auditions, the first read through, rehearsals Monday through Friday, weekly production meetings, and now finally we are opening! As days turn into weeks, I get to see words on a page come alive and everything come together, from costumes to the set, it all becomes so real. By getting to apply the concepts and tools we have learned in the classroom, we grow more confident in the process, as individual artists, and as a team.

Q: What do students need to know about “The House of Yes”? Why should they see the show?

Students need to know that House of Yes is a hilariously absurd dark comedy intended for mature audiences. Students should come see the show to get a real glimpse into just how funny, shocking and outrageous theatre can be.

Q: What is it like to work on a stage production with fellow college students?

A: It is amazing to get to work on a stage production with fellow college students. Spring semester is usually very hectic for theatre students, so it’s great knowing you’re working along others with the same goals in mind and obstacles to overcome. We all support each other and their work as thespians in their respective concentration. Each production we all continue to improve and grow as future professionals in the field. It is amazing to get to witness.

Q: How long has the theatre department been working on the show?

A: We have all been working on the show since the very beginning of the semester. With classes, work, other performances, and this year’s 50th Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, we all had a lot of work to squeeze into a short period of time (as the rehearsal process can take up to an entire semester). Everyone was very diligent and worked hard to get the material down.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

A: Katie Rasor is a delight to work with. Last semester Katie was my advisor for my dramaturgical work on An Octoroon. She immediately fills the theatre with positivity and energy. Everyone, from designers to actors to stage management, feels open to try new things and makes all the hard work much more enjoyable. I am so honored to have her as a professor, director and mentor.