Changes To Come: Georgia Southern Welcomes New Women’s Basketball Head Coach

GS Athletics

Georgia Southern held a press conference Tuesday afternoon welcoming in Hana Haden, the new Women’s Basketball head coach. 

After recently parting ways with former 5-year head coach, Anita Howard, GS athletics brought in Haden, who was the former head coach at Georgia Southwestern University and recently led GSW to a 29-4 overall record this previous season.

“My team was playing in the NCAA tournament when this process first began and it demonstrated what I felt like departments value was to the time to watch my games and it gave me a glimpse into what this program is about as far as support.” said Haden

She first became a head coach at 23 at Harris-Stowe State University and is a collegiate level player herself having played one season at University of Missouri- St. Louis. Haden comes to GS after what most would call a successful season with GSW, their overall record being 29-4 and 16-2 in the Peach Belt Conference. She also earned the WBCA Division II National Coach of the Year honors. 

For most GS basketball fans this comes as a big change and leaves fans wondering what they can expect from Coach Haden. During her press conference she gave insight on the topic at hand

“We will take pride on the defensive end of the floor, we will find ways to be disruptive, to impose our will and to keep teams off balance,” said Haden. “On the offensive end we’re going to find a way to be as efficient as possible, take pride in our execution and play selflessly.” 

Not only is this a change for both Haden and Georgia Southern fans but for the players too.

Junior, Amoni Byrd recognizes the standard that her former coach set and hopes to see the same or even better from her new coach. “I feel like she (Haden) has the chance and the potential to rise above the bar and get us a championship. I’m excited to see if we’ll be able to achieve that during her first year here.” said Byrd.

Senior, Kayla Thomas, also spoke on the bar that Coach Howard set during her time with GS. “I feel as though Coach Haden is coming in with the mindset of changing the program and getting us a championship,” said Thomas. “When speaking to her she said she’s not here to rebuild, she’s here to reload. So I’m excited for us to reload our roster and play late into march.” 

Coach Haden posing with Freedom the Eagle (Briyanna Thompson)