Mayoral Race 2017: Getting to know the candidates

• Photo by Dylan Chapman

• Photo by Dylan Chapman

Matthew Enfinger

At a public forum at Georgia Southern University on Nov. 1, Statesboro mayoral candidates spoke about their credentials and political platforms.

Jan Moore

Incumbent Mayor Moore serves as vice president for economic development at Ogeechee Technical College. She is the first female city official ever to be elected in the city’s history.

Moore served as the Dean of Students at OTC, and prior to that, she worked with the Bulloch County Board of Education’s central office, where she served as special education advisor and behavior intervention specialist.

She served 11 years as business editor of the Statesboro Herald and was a member of the GS presidential search and screening committee from 2015 to 2016.

Moore’s platform consists of safety for Statesboro and the GS campus and providing students with additional leadership opportunities in Statesboro.

“I know the city of Statesboro has problems,” Moore said at the forum. “We’re a city. When you’re a city, you’re going to have problems but that does not mean that you cannot accomplish the things I listed. That you can’t stay safe. That’s my job. That is my job.”

Jonathan McCollar

McCollar graduated in the class of 1992 from Statesboro High School and earned a Bachelors of Arts in history from GS. He helped in the passage of the Workforce Investment Act, and he is a Regional Coastal Workforce board committee member.

McCollar discussed at the forum that his campaign follows four points:

• Sustainable economic growth
  • Youth development
  • Diversity, equity and inclusion
  • Institute term limits

“Join me in this campaign to build a different legacy, to build a community that’s going to be able to be inclusive for all people,” McCollar said.

John Grotheer

For the last 20 years, Grotheer has worked in the city and county government as city clerk, department head of administration, finance director and interim county administrator.

“I strongly believe the city should protect our environmental resources, preserve our historic cites and to be fiscally responsable and accountable by providing the most cost affective and efficient services to our community,” Grotheer said during the forum.

Grotheer was responsible for financial administration, customer service, utility billing, procurement, and auditing and working with citizens, community business leaders and local and state government officials at various agencies.

To learn more about the mayoral candidates political platforms please click here

Voter information can also be found by clicking here.