Student organizations face off at 2017 Doo-Dah show

Emma Smith

Hanner Fieldhouse quickly filled up with students waiting to see the annual Doo-Dah Dance and Step Show on Oct. 11. Fourteen groups of performers gathered in the stadium seat and behind the stage, awaiting their turn to display their talent onstage.

For those who may not know, the Doo-Dah Dance and Step Show is a dance competition that raises funds for Eagles for Eagles, a student fundraising initiative founded by the Student Government Association.

This year’s event was hosted by 2016 Homecoming King and Queen Moses Malloy and Jasmyn Cornell, and featured three competition categories: doo-dah, dance and step, hence the name of the event.

Prior to the show, Cornell, senior theater and journalism major, said she was excited to host this year’s Doo-Dah.

“I’m mostly looking forward to having fun onstage with Moses,” she said. “I’m also really excited for the new Homecoming Queen and hope she makes the most of her experience.”

The contestants 

The doo-dah category featured sororities Kappa Delta, Phi Mu, Alpha Omicron Pi, Omega Phi Alpha, Alpha Delta Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Phi Epsilon, Zeta Tau Alpha and Kappa Kappa Gamma, and fraternity Kappa Sigma.

The dance category consisted of Southern Divas, Coalition Crew, and Dyverzion Dance Team.

The Forte Step Team was the only team in the step category.

Groups were judged on precision, uniqueness, and relation to the “Totally ’90s” homecoming theme.

The winners

Alpha Delta Pi took home first prize in the doo-dah category, followed by Alpha Omicron Pi and Zeta Tau Alpha for second and third place, respectively.

Dyverzion won first place in the dance category for the fourth year in a row, according to team choreographer Jesse Martin.

Forte, having no other competitors in the step category, took first prize with ease. Each of the winning teams earned a cash prize of $200.

Martin, senior mechanical engineering major, says this is his last year with Dyverzion and that he is happy with his work with the team.

“We wanted to make tonight special,” Martin said. “I’m happy that we can move on with the rest of the year, and we went out with a bang.”