Get to know The George-Anne’s leadership team

• Mbow will serve as the new creative editor-in-chief for The George-Anne Media Group. She will lead the creative division in producing designs and photographs for the different print and online platforms.

• Craft will be the managing editor of enterprise. She will oversee coverage of academics, including faculty senate, and sports.

• Fuller will serve as daily managing editor. She will supervise and manage scheduling and daily newsroom operations. 

• Mitch Smith is a senior writing and linguistics major from Camden County, Georgia.

• Cole will serve as managing editor for news coverage. He will oversee the student government association (SGA), administration and public safety beats. 

Andy Cole

STATESBORO — The George-Anne Media Group has announced its new student leaders for the upcoming semester.

Executive Board

Four students have been named to the organization’s Executive Board, which serves as the governing body for Statesboro outlets managed by the Office of Student Media.

Ben Barks, rising senior – Editor-in-Chief, The George-Anne Studio

Barks will serve as editor-in-chief of The George-Anne Studio during his senior year. He will manage student media’s team of videographers to produce daily content for various platforms, including YouTube and Facebook.

Barks has worked with the Studio since fall 2018. He began as a special features reporter, producing short comedy sketches like Gus and Brandon vs. Lawrence. He has since worked as the Studio’s special features editor and managing editor.

He is a multimedia film and production major. Alongside Student Media, Barks continues to build his filmmaking portfolio. His work has screened at multiple events on and off campus.

Jasmine Coye, rising junior – Manager, Public Relations and Marketing division

Coye will serve as the new PR/Marketing Manger for the George-Anne Media Group. She will lead the marketing division in ensuring student engagement and staying on top of recruitment for the Media Group.

Coye has been a part of the organization since Spring 2018. She started as a street sweeper for the George-Anne Media Group. She then served as the Engagement Coordinator for the Marketing Division for the past two years.

Coye is an upcoming junior Electrical Engineering student. Besides the George-Anne Media Group, she serves as Vice President of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and council member of Paulson College of Engineering and Computing Diversity & Inclusion Council.

Aminatta Mbow, rising senior – Editor-in-Chief, Creative division.

Mbow will serve as the new creative editor-in-chief for The George-Anne Media Group. She will lead the creative division in producing designs and photographs for the different print and online platforms.

Mbow has been a part of the organization since fall 2017. She started as a sports layout designer for The George-Anne. She then served as the magazine design editor for the Reflector Magazine and the Our House orientation magazine. Mbow founded The George-Anne Diversity Board this semester, which hopes to promote representation and conversation amongst the GS community.

Mbow is an upcoming senior graphic design student. Outside The George-Anne Media Group, she serves as Vice President of the African Students Association and is a member of the University Honors Program.

Jenna Wiley, rising senior – Editor-in-Chief, The George-Anne Reflector Magazine

Wiley will serve as editor-in-chief for The George-Anne Reflector magazine. She will oversee her staff of writers and serve on the student media executive board.

Prior to becoming editor-in-chief, she worked as a campus editor and reporter after completing the candidate program. Wiley is a member of the Society for Professional Journalists.

This summer, Wiley will continue to cover lifestyle and community topics surrounding Georgia Southern while also reporting on news. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak she will be working remotely from Rincon and Statesboro Georgia.

Editorial Board

The George-Anne Division, which is responsible for news reporting for thegeorgeanne.com, The George-Anne Daily email newsletter and the weekly George-Anne Statesboro Edition, will be led by the four-member editorial board until an editor-in-chief in named.

Serving as managing editors, Olivia Craft, Abby Fuller, Mitch Smith and Andy Cole will jointly serve as editor-in-chief.

Olivia Craft, rising senior – Managing Editor, Enterprise

Craft will be the managing editor of enterprise. She will oversee coverage of academics, including faculty senate, and sports.

Before taking on this leadership position, Craft worked as a reporter for The George-Anne Reflector Magazine. She was a candidate during fall 2019 semester.

This summer, Craft plans to continue to cover stories as managing editor for The George-Anne.

Abby Fuller, rising senior – Managing Editor, Daily

Fuller will serve as daily managing editor. She will supervise and manage scheduling and daily newsroom operations.

Prior to becoming a managing editor, Fuller worked as a news reporter for The George-Anne during the spring 2020 semester after completing the candidate program in the fall 2019 semester.

This summer, Fuller will continue to cover news stories as a managing editor for The George-Anne.

Mitch Smith, rising senior – Managing Editor, Print

Smith will serve as managing editor for print. He will cover daily operations and newsletter duties.

Prior to being an editor, Smith worked as a daily reporter for The George-Anne during the spring 2020 semester after completing the candidate program in the fall of 2019.

This summer, Smith will continue to cover stories as a managing editor for the George-Anne. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, he will be working remotely between both Kingsland and Statesboro, GA.

Andy Cole, rising sophomore – Managing Editor, News

Cole will serve as managing editor for news coverage. He will oversee the student government association (SGA), administration and public safety beats.

Prior to joining the G-A leadership team, Cole was a candidate during the spring 2020 semester. Before The George-Anne, Cole worked for Gwinnett County Public Schools’ broadcast and AV media team as a digital media intern for his junior and senior years of high school.

While working at Gwinnett, Cole garnered numerous student and professional awards and nominations, including a bronze Telly win, a nomination for a Southeast Emmy and two student Emmy wins.

Andy Cole, Managing Editor for News Coverage, bc14713@georgiasouthern.edu